Acrylic/canvas 42x56” 2003
The grand opening was on May 16, 1903 when, at eight o'clock in the evening, 250,000 electric lights were switched on. On the left, nearest the entrance, were three giant buildings. The first housed Luna's premiere attraction, “A Trip to the Moon.” Luna's constant change of attractions brought much repeat business to the park, especially by Coney Island regulars who thought they had experienced everything. Luna's most popular ride, its Trip to the Moon was experienced by an estimated 4,250,000 people over its five year run. In 1944, a fire broke out in the washroom at Luna's Dragon Gorge Scenic Railroad building,- and that was the end of Luna Park.